I’m starting to get nervous. I’ve been nervous, but now i’m pretty damned frustrated and mildly depressed. I’m starting to think that I am not going to be a working attorney, at least not any time soon. I am scheduled to get my JD this May and today, at the end of January, I do not have a job lined up. That might not seem like a big deal to those outside of the legal field. Those within the field know that many people have already secured job offers for after graduation. In fact, there are some students who have known about their post-grad jobs over a year and a half ago.
Just yesterday I got two rejections. Thanks but no thanks. “We had so many qualified candidates it was difficult to choose…” blah blah blah. I can’t even remember how many jobs I’ve applied to so far. I suppose the job market is to blame in part. I can admit that I am not at the top of my class. I did not do a journal or law review. I did not win awards on trial team. I know that all contributes to being a competitive candidate. Still, I can’t help but be frustrated by the fact that I have no clue WHATSOEVER what I will be doing after I walk across the stage back in Philly. I don’t even have anywhere to LIVE! I can’t just go home like some people are doing. I don’t really have a home to go back to. So not only do I not know what I’ll be doing, I don’t know where I’ll be living.
Even if I had a legal job, I don’t think I could accept it. Why not? Because I don’t think I am going to take the bar exam this summer. Plain and simple, I cannot afford to. Sure, very few people can pay for the necessary bar review courses, the bar exam fees and living expenses over the summer strictly out of pocket. People take out loans. That is not an option for me, however. Besides, like I’ve been saying, I don’t even know where to go, let alone which state’s bar to sit for!
Therefore, I’m considering alternatives. Seeing as I currently have no children, no man, no place to live, and no job offer, but will soon have a law degree, what can I do? Here’s what I’ve thought of so far today:
- Move to France, Paris most likely, and become a waitress or personal assistant. Maybe even an au pair who plays on the beach with French children and teaches them English. I have a pretty decent grasp of French (backed by over 7 yrs of study) which would improve quickly once immersed in France.
- Become a teacher. It’s not like we don’t need them. In fact, I believe there is a shortage of qualified educators and let’s face it, I’m pretty damned qualified. It’s been done before, I’m sure. Why, just look back to the Fox drama Boston Public. Remember when Ronnie Cook (played by Jeri Ryan) left the practice of law to become a high school teacher? See.
- Move back to NC and marry this dude who has been trying to marry me for the last 7 years. I’m sort of domestic. The housewife thing wouldn’t totally suit me, but I could kick back for a little while, at least until the kids started rolling in. :/
- Put 1,000 ads up on this blog, hoping you click some, and live off of the revenue. Eh.
- Lose about 25lbs and become an exotic dancer.
- Join the Peace Corps and build irrigation systems or educate people about HIV.
- Relocate to Orlando, FL and get a job with DisneyWorld as a backup singer for Cinderella.
- Go back to school somewhere for something and postpone living a real life and paying back real loans.
- Other suggestions?
See, told you if would be a pity party. Having fun yet? I’m sort of joking but not really. Every day I think of what’s going to transpire in the coming months. Every day I look for opportunities and try to work out alternatives. Ah well, if nothing else pans out at least my degrees will keep me warm at night, right ‘Ye?